Tuesday, December 1, 2009

3 day potty training method by Lora Jensen

WOW! It works!

Yes, it has taken me awhile to finally blog about this, but I had to make sure I did it. I heard about Lora Jensen's 3 day potty training method a few months ago and thought "no way" but I have a couple friends who used it and it worked for them so at this point, I wanted to try it because Landon was 3 in September and still wearing diapers. When I really thought about this, I realized we had 2 kids in diapers for over 17 months! It was time. Mostly I needed to make the commitment that I was ready and willing to do what it took to get it done. I read the book a couple times (very easy, quick read-45 minutes maybe) and decided at the last minute to do it over Halloween weekend. It was the only 3 day period (consecutive 3 days) that I didn't have anything scheduled to be gone from the house, so it would work. We took Olivia to Derick's parents house Friday night and she was going to stay until Monday night. This would allow me to give Landon my undivided attention the entire 3 days 1-on-1, which is part of the method.

Day 1 was encouraging. He had a few accidents BUT pooped on the potty by himself! Day 2 a little disappointing, but expected (you should expect accidents, also part of the program). About 4 accidents and 2 poop accidents (yuck). I realized Landon was starting to have diarrhea. This was not the time for messy, uncontrollable bowel movements (in underwear)! Yes, Landon had diarrhea basically that whole week. He had accidents (not pee) every day and it was not any fun at all. Usually a mess, all over his legs and in the underwear, etc. He had at least 2 baths a day for several days that week! Either way, he was potty trained! He probably had about 5 pee accidents total the rest of that first week and stayed dry the first time he went to daycare all day, which was actually on day 4 from the start of this!

The best part about her method is that she believes that when you decide for them to wear underwear and go on the potty like big boy/girl, they only wear underwear...all the time....no exceptions. Not pull-ups, not at nighttime, naptime, etc. ONLY UNDERWEAR. It's based on that you tell them they are a big boy and diapers are for babies and they wear underwear now...so, if you put a diaper or pull up on them at night, it's confusing. I know this isn't what a lot of people choose to do, but we found it worked for us and I am glad I just did it all at once! She also says most of the time the diaper would be dry during the night that if they are waking up wet it's probably because they peed as soon as they woke up, before you change the diaper.

So, that's what we did. He threw away all the diapers and pullups on day 1 in the morning and hasn't put one on since. He has been dry the majority of the time at naptime and nighttime. I would say in the past month, he has peed in the bed only about 4 times. Those were our fault actually because we gave him too much to drink before bed!

I strongly suggest the 3 day potty training method. If you are going to do it, you have to make the commitment to follow it exactly and not make exceptions! It's 3 days and can be really hard and stressful but if you do it, it will work....I believe that! Even for Landon, who was over 3 years old when we did it. She suggests doing it at 22 months! This is what I will do with Olivia sometime in March or April next year! How exciting to know that next summer we will have 2 kids in underwear....no diapers!

GOOD JOB LANDON!




No comments:

Post a Comment